I have loved every minute of my staycation on Vancouver Island (off the west-coast of Canada).
- savoring my morning coffee on my balcony, bathed in sunshine
- going for high tea at the Empress in Victoria with my oldest granddaughter – catching a glimpse of what it’s like the first time and wanting to hold it forever
- watching my gang of grandkids playing together in the endless sand at Rathtrevor beach in Parksville – the kite soared high – and the castles disappeared in the waves
- enjoying simple meals with family from near and far
- driving up Mount Washington to take in the breath-taking view
- eating freshly caught salmon with the fishermen who reeled it in – listening to stories about the ones that got away
- baby smiles that make your heart melt
- hummingbirds at my door
- examining wooden boats created by the kids and painted with great care – “They float, Oma!”
- eating ice-cream in Coombs with the goats
- laughter, lots and lots of laughter
- getting my first hole-in-one at the miniature golf course
- listening to stories of life as a kid now-adaze – similar but different from my memories
- watching the latest Pirate film on the big screen with granddkids
- popcorn and card games
- watching a baby take her first steps
- watching a five-year old show you his first flip on a trampoline
- And did I mention the taste of coffee in the sunshine?
Yes, I still dream of exotic European adventures, but the joy of sharing the local sights with family cannot be beat. I am blessed.
Today I’m heading out to do a tour of the Cowichan Valley vineyards and hope to come home with a Blackberry Port and more stories.
I’m not ready for winter.
‘We hit the sunny beaches where we occupy ourselves keeping the sun off our skin, the saltwater off our bodies, and the sand out of our belongings.” ~Erma Bombeck
“Away” – from Pink Owl Momma on Pinterest (I can’t find the original source)
other photos on – Pixabay
Meme created on – Canva
How About You?
What do you like to do on stayacations?