When it came time to format my stories for ebooks I asked around for advice. Initially I intended to pay someone else to format my work, but my coffers are close to empty and I have a passionate desire to have as much control over my “artisan product” as possible.
My wonderful friends gave me lots of suggestions. I looked into each and decided on Jutoh.
Using Jutoh to Format for Kindle
Jutoh is a user friendly, inexpensive piece of software that allows you to take a Word document and compile it into ebook and mobi formats.
I used it to create .mobi files for my three books. .Mobi is the Amazon Kindle format. Here is what I did:
Step 1 – Getting Ready
1. I formatted my Word manuscript (i.e., 1. removed headers, 2. used “headings 1” for the title of each chapter and each section that I wanted to have a separate page for e.g., copyright page, acknowledgement page etc. This formatting gives you a page break.)
2. I had my “blurb” ready. (I used my back blurb)
3. I had my Cover Art jpeg ready.
Step 2 – Opening my New Project in Jutoh
- open Jutoh, open “new project”
- used Romantic Suspense as the subject
- uploaded blurb
- used the standard style sheet
- used split by style
- uploaded cover
- uploaded my story
To create the project I hit “compile.”
Step 3- Checking my Project in Jutoh
- scanned chapter by chapter to make sure the formatting looked right
- removed titles I didn’t like the look of
Step 4 – Checking my Project in Kindle
- I exported the project and the Kindle app on my PC opened automatically
- My book had arrived! I scrolled through and made notes of things I wanted changed. For example I had made the font on the title page too large, so the title page actually took 2 pages on Kindle. I went back and made changes.
I learned all of this from a You Tube by India Drummond (below). She takes you through each step and explains it in depth.
The process took me less than an hour in total and the cost was $39.00 USD.
My next post will be about formatting for Amazon print books (Create Space). A longer process, but doable.
If you’re interested in receiving my newsletter click here to sign up.
The Mata Hari Series launches April 1st!!!
Book #1 – Covert Danger – Amazon pre-order link
Short Story #2 – Born of Magic – Amazon pre-order link
Book #3 – Ancient Danger – Amazon pre-order link
great value at only $2.99 USD
41 days and counting