It started with the pyramids…
My synapses danced the salsa last night as I watched a documentary on Egyptian pyramids. There’s so much we don’t know about ancient civilizations, and extrapolating that thought – so much we don’t know about life.
I smacked my forehead with the palm of my hand. I’ve been here before. It’s not the first time this subject has captivated my imagination.
In fact, it leaks into every one of my stories. I guess it all comes down to: What is the meaning of life?
Follow your passion
Remember the seventies when Joseph Campbell‘s mantra, “follow your bliss,” and Yoda were all the rage? I don’t think I grew out of that era. The idea that following your passion will lead to something good feels right to me. It’s partly because I like to wear rose colored glasses whenever possible, and partly because I figure you either follow your passion, or follow the herd. Sheep skin doesn’t suit me.
Maybe I’m stuck a few decades back scrambling along my own hero’s journey. Make that anti-hero. No…how about Common Jo. I’m following my common Jo journey. That fits.
5 Joseph Campbell Quotes
taken from the Brainy Quote site
1. “Follow your bliss and the universe will open doors where there were only walls.”
2. “The privilege of a lifetime is being who your are.”
3. “Find a place inside you where there’s joy, and the joy will burn out the pain.”
4. “Your sacred space is where you can find yourself again and again.”
5.”God is a metaphor for that which transcends all levels of intellectual thought. It is as simple as that.”
What are my Passions?
3. Learning (which is why I’m doing the workshop on Saturday)